March 10, 2011

Data Warehouse Toolkit

I started rereading Ralph Kimball's "The Data Warehouse Toolkit: The Complete Guide to Dimensional Modeling"   So far, it is as good on the second read as it is on the first. My only complaint is that the sub title is more accurate: "The Complete Guide to Dimensional Modeling." The book is a great intro to dimensional modeling, with a lot of examples. Until I read it, I really did not get the point of dimensional modeling, as apposed to the entity-relationships/3rd-normal-form type modeling. I had to re-read the first chapter a few times before dimensional modeling clicked, but once it did the rest of the book was crystal clear. In fact, all the Kimball groups book I have read have been excellent--the Data Warehouse ETL Toolkit, and the The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit. (I read the first edition of the DW Lifestyle toolkit, and that is a link to the 2nd edition, but I assume it is not substantially different) I recommended them to everyone who asks about dimensional modeling. I have such success using the Kimball model that I never got around to looking at the "opposing" data warehouse camp.  I suppose I should read something by Bill Inmom. Maybe Corporate Information Factory?

No comments: